This festival also belongs to Lord Sun and celebrate on the Shashthi Shukla Paksha of Bhadrapada month. In 2016, Surya Shashthi falls on September 07. Chanting Gayatri Mantra on this day is considered quite beneficial as it purify your soul and bring peace to mind.
There are many devotees who keep fasting on this day to get blessed with suitable life part, prosperity and child. The glory of Lord Sun is mentioned in various scriptures and it holds great value.
Surya Shashti Fast Rituals
- Devotees get up early in the morning and take a bath in nearby water body.
- After taking bath, devotee should pray Lord Sun standing at the bank of a water body.
- Light up the lamp having pure ghee and dhoop and offer red flowers.
- It is time to offer water having seven types of flowers, seasams, sandalwood and rice.
- During Surya pooja, keep chanting the surya mantra “Om Grihni Suryaya Namah” and “Om Suryaya Namah” 108 times or can continue to whole day.
- As per your pocket, serve the food to Brahmins and donate clothes, fruits etc., to the needy.
Benefits of Surya Shashthi
- Surya Shashthi pooja is dedicated to Lord Sun.
- Worshipping Sun on this day is considered quite auspicious and beneficial too.
- In order to get blessed by Lord Sun, worshipping Lord Sun on Surya Shashthi is very ideal.
- It brings a lot of happiness and wealth to your home.
- Sun is the centre of life and the energy belongs to the whole universe.
- On this day, many people take fast to wish a long life of their child.
- Keeping fast on this day lead towards healthy immune system and strong bones because of rays of the sun.
This Surya Shashthi, do not forget to keep this fast.